Position Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Search Committee invites applicants to submit the following materials to email@example.com. A complete application consists of:
- Cover letter
- CV or resume
- Writing sample
- List of three professional references, including one manager, one person they have managed, and one other
Salary commensurate with experience. Location is flexible.
The Ukrainian Catholic University Foundation (the “Foundation”) was established in 1997 to support and fund the growth and operations of Ukrainian Catholic University (“UCU”) in Lviv, Ukraine. As the first Catholic university in the vast territory of the former Soviet Union, UCU is at the forefront of building a civil society in Ukraine, educating its students to be ethical and moral leaders of a new Ukraine. Through its fundraising activities in the United States, the Foundation assists UCU in meeting its educational and financial challenges and supports its successes as the premier Catholic educational institution in Ukraine.
The UCU Foundation has earned the highest possible, four-star rating with Charity Navigator for many years. The Foundation funds approximately 30% of the total operating budget of UCU annually, and in 2022, the Foundation funded a total of 179 scholarships for students. The Foundation has raised nearly $2,500,000 to support humanitarian relief efforts since February 2022, engaging 1,217 donors to support this effort alone.
Summary of Position
The Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) provides leadership and direction in fulfilling and advancing the mission of the Foundation. The CEO is responsible for leading the Foundation in its achievement of its operational and strategic goals, including the success of the Foundation’s fund and donor development, financial management, board relations, human capital management, community relationships and administrative matters.
Strategic Development and Planning
In collaboration with the Board of Directors (the “Board”), Foundation staff, UCU representatives and other key stakeholders, the CEO develops and executes the Foundation’s strategic plan, long term goals and operational plans
Fund and Donor Development
- Guides and oversees the fundraising activities of the Foundation’s donor relationship managers (“DRMs”)
- Establishes annual performance and strategic goals for the Foundation and each DRM
- Oversees system of data collection, analysis, and use in collaboration with DRMs
- Leads the development of the Foundation’s annual donor cultivation and stewardship plans, and holds Foundation staff accountable for executing on these plans
- Oversees all Foundation fundraising events
- Guides Foundation staff in executing on fundraising initiatives such as our endowment, scholarship and bequest programs
- Actively develops and nurtures relationships with key donors, grantmaking organizations and other significant stakeholders
- Leads the development of the Foundation’s annual budget, including the development of data-driven annual revenue forecasts and expense plans
- Oversees the financial performance of the Foundation, and communicates this performance to UCU and the Board on a regular basis
- In conjunction with the Finance Committee and Investment Advisory Committee of the Board, ensures Foundation funds are invested efficiently and in a manner consistent with Foundation guidelines
- Ensures Foundation funds are distributed only as approved by the Board and Foundation policies
- Fulfills financial management responsibilities and related duties as needed
- Cultivates relationships with Board members and leads Board development activities. Assists in the recruitment of new Board members
- Identifies ways to collaborate and engage with networks of Board and Advisory Board members
- Oversees the preparation and distribution of Board / Committee materials. Serves as an ex officio member of Board committees, and works with Board leadership to implement Board decisions
Human Capital Management
- Manages the Foundation’s staff of six employees, including: hiring, termination, ongoing staff development, coaching, performance reviews and professional development. Meets regularly with staff, remotely and in person.
- Oversees activities of numerous volunteers in various cities and regions throughout the U.S.
- Holds Foundation staff accountable for establishing annual goals
- Ensures Foundation staff develop knowledge of philanthropic best practices, and implement those practices in their roles
- Ensures that employment practices are consistent with all applicable laws and Foundation policies
- Fulfills human capital responsibilities and related duties as needed
- Promotes the visibility of the Foundation and UCU through participation in Ukrainian-American community events and organizations
- Leads the Foundation’s outreach to the U.S. Roman Catholic community
- Represents the Foundation at official events as required and appropriate
- Leads and oversees the administrative components of the Foundation, including engaging, overseeing, and managing third party service providers and ensuring donations are efficiently processed, recorded and appropriately acknowledged
- Oversees and manages a system of data collection, analysis, and use
- Ensures the operations of the Foundation are conducted in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Reviews and maintains operational guidelines and policies for the Foundation; engages with the Board to obtain input and approval on any needed policy changes
Required Experience and Skills
- Passion for the mission of the Foundation and UCU
- Strong preference for experience managing a sales organization, in a client-facing environment, or managing fundraising strategy.
- Fundraising /
- Development experience preferred but not required
- Significant senior-level management experience with bottom-line P&L responsibilities
- Demonstrated leadership and success in managing a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with diverse work styles
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the Ukrainian-American community
- Desire and ability to represent the Foundation and UCU in the Ukrainian-American, Roman Catholic, and other communities
- Demonstrated sense of urgency; ability to establish aggressive goals and hold teams accountable for achieving those goals
- Ukrainian language skills preferred but not required